Skip Navigation


Virginia NRCS Programs

Conservation Practices and Programs for Your Land

The 2008 Farm Bill offers America’s agricultural producers and private landowners more assistance than ever before to voluntarily conserve natural resources on our Nation’s privately owned lands. The Farm Bill also offers special program opportunities for "Historically Underserved" individuals and groups. More information is available at the NRCS Small & Limited and Beginning Farmers & Ranchers Web page.

State Technical Advisory Committee

The State Technical Advisory Committee provides recommendations to the State Conservationist on NRCS-related issues in Virginia. These issues include: implementation of NRCS programs, advice and comments on NRCS practice standards, and others.

How to Apply for USDA-NRCS Conservation Programs

Learn what steps you will need to take to prepare for, and submit, your application to become a USDA-NRCS Conservation Program participant.

More information on the criteria required to become an eligible applicant.

When applying for EQIP or WHIP, remember that your name, address, and social security number or Employer Identification Number (EIN) must match the information you have on file with the IRS and USDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA), and the information provided on the Direct Deposit Form. If you cannot recall your EIN and address used, call the IRS directly at 1-800-829-4933. You should "Request confirmation of Employer Identification Number (EIN), IRS Letter 147C, EIN Previously Assigned. The IRS can fax the letter to you, but you must remain on the line and have a separate open fax line to receive the fax. The letter can be mailed. The requester will receive the IRS Letter 147C, in 7 to 10 business days.

Conservation Technical Assistance Programs and Activities

  • Conservation Technical Assistance (CTA) provides voluntary conservation technical assistance to land-users, communities, units of state and local government, and other Federal agencies in planning and implementing conservation systems. (Producers may use a certified Technical Service Provider (TSP) for technical assistance needed for certain eligible activities, services and the development of conservation plans.)
  • Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) provides technical and financial assistance to eligible farmers and ranchers to address soil, water, and related natural resource concerns on their lands. Administered by USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA).

2008 Farm Bill NRCS Financial Assistance and Easement Programs

Applications for financial assistance are accepted year-round. NRCS has established four ranking periods for FY2014:

Ranking Period 1: Forestry Applications received by close of business on November 15, 2013
Ranking Period 2: All Applications received by close of business on December 20, 2013
Ranking Period 3: All Applications received by close of business on January 17, 2014
Ranking Period 4: All Applications received by close of business on February 21, 2014

Water Resources Programs

Virginia Watershed Programs