Cooperative Conservation Partnership Initiative
The Cooperative Conservation Partnership Initiative (CCPI) is a voluntary conservation initiative that enables the use of certain conservation programs with resources of eligible partners to provide financial and technical assistance to owners and operators of agricultural and nonindustrial private forest lands.
Eligible producers, who participate in a project area identified in an approved partner agreement, may apply for program assistance.
Eligible programs include:
Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP)
Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP)
Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP)
Under CCPI, the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) enters into partnership agreements with eligible entities that want to enhance conservation outcomes on agricultural and nonindustrial private forest lands. After the NRCS Chief or the North Dakota State Conservationist has announced the approved CCPI areas, eligible producers may submit a program application.
With available funds, each fiscal year, the NRCS will make Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP) and Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) benefits available to owners and operators of agricultural and nonindustrial private forest lands who participate in approved CCPI project areas.
As authorized by Congress, this is not a grant program to eligible partners. This is a program whereby approved eligible partners will enter into multi-year agreements with NRCS to help enhance conservation outcomes on agricultural lands and private nonindustrial private forest lands. The intent of CCPI is for the Federal government to leverage investment in natural resources conservation along with services and non-Federal resources of eligible partners. Individual producers are not eligible to submit a partnership proposal.
Federally recognized Indian Tribes, State and Local units of government, producer associations, farmer cooperatives, institutions of higher education, and nongovernmental organizations with a history of working cooperatively with producers. Individual producers are not eligible to submit a partner proposal.
Owners and operators of agricultural and nonindustrial private forest lands are eligible to apply for program benefits offered through CCPI. In order for a producer to be considered for financial assistance through a CCPI partner agreement, the land associated with a program application must be located within an approved CCPI project area. Only producers who are eligible for EQIP, WHIP or CSP may receive financial assistance through these programs.
For more details regarding eligibility and application requirements contact your local NRCS field office.
For CCPI, the 2008 Farm Bill requires that 6 percent of the funds for EQIP and WHIP and 6 percent of the allowed acres for the CSP programs be reserved for support of producer contracts approved under this authority. Of these funds reserved for CCPI, 90 percent are to be used for projects within the state, as approved by the North Dakota State Conservationist. The remaining 10 percent of these resources are to be awarded to Multi-State project proposals based upon a competitive national process.
FY2013 Funded CCPI Proposals
Four CCPI proposals, two multi-state and two within state, are in their third year of funding.
Wells County Windbreak Renovations: Funding has been made available to renovate existing farmstead and feedlot windbreaks. Windbreaks provide critical protection for farmsteads, livestock and crops. Funds will be use to offset the landowner's cost of windbreak renovation. Only farmsteads that are physically located in Wells County are eligible for this program.
Red River Valley: Funding was made available to eligible partners in the Red River Valley to address resource concerns related to wind and water erosion, water quality, and soil salinization. Funding made available through the CCPI will help the partnership of Soil Conservation Districts in Pembina, Walsh, Grand Forks, Traill, Cass, and Richland counties.
Shelterbelt Renovation and Restoration of Forested Riparian Areas: Financial assistance is available to fund shelterbelt renovation and forest restoration proposals. Funded projects will work through existing EQIP to leverage additional services and resources from state forestry agencies of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas.
Additional CCPI Materials
The following documents require Acrobat Reader or Microsoft Excel.
Red River Ranking Summary
Riparian Buffers Ranking Summary
Wells County Windbreak Ranking Summary
Multi State Windbreak Renovation Ranking Summary
Jennifer C. Heglund
Assistant State Conservationist (Programs)