Skip Navigation

Financial Assistance Available for Wildfire-Impacted Farmers and Ranchers

NRCS helps farmers and ranchers recover from fire damage.
NRCS helps farmers and ranchers recover from fire damage.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service is accepting applications for financial assistance from agricultural producers in New Mexico impacted by wildfires of 2011, 2012 and 2013 under the new Burned Lands Initiative.

The financial assistance will help address resource concerns on private land through NRCS’ Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) and Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP).

Applications will be accepted through Friday, July 19, 2013 for producers impacted by wildfires such as the Jaroso Fire, Las Conchas Fire, Little Bear Fire, Silver Fire, Thompson Ridge Fire, Track Fire, Tres Lagunas Fire, Wallow Fire and Whitewater-Baldy Complex Fire.

“New Mexico’s farmers and ranchers have suffered substantial losses from wildfires over the past few years.” NRCS State Conservationist Xavier Montoya said. “Our hope is that if we can restore parts of their operations and put conservation on the land, we can ultimately improve producers’ long-term resilience to droughts, fires and floods.”

Key conservation practices available for assistance under the Burned Lands Initiative include fencing, troughs and tanks, pipelines, diversions, critical area planting, wildlife management, ponds, forest stand improvement and others that relate to water quality, soil erosion, plant health and wildlife habitat concerns.

For more information on how to apply for financial assistance, contact your local NRCS field office ( or visit the NRCS EQIP ( or WHIP ( pages for more details.


USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service helps America’s farmers and ranchers conserve the Nation’s soil, water, air and other natural resources. All programs are voluntary and offer science-based solutions that benefit both the landowner and the environment.
Follow NRCS New Mexico on Twitter. Checkout other conservation-related stories on USDA Blog. Watch videos on NRCS’ New Mexico YouTube channel. 


USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).