Sign up for e-mail updates on the Sage-Grouse Initiative
For more information:
Regional Conservationists Office
Reports and Fact Sheet
- Sage-Grouse Initiative Progress Report, FY 2013 (PDF, 1MB)
- Sage-Grouse Initiative Progress Report, FY 2012 (PDF, 11.3 MB)
- Sage-Grouse Initiative Status Report, Fiscal Years 2010-2011(PDF, 1.06 MB)
- FY2010 Accomplishments
- Sage-Grouse Initiative Introduction (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Sage-Grouse Initiative Fact Sheet (2.11 MB, PDF)
- Seriously Sage-Grouse Coloring Book(for kids) (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Destinies Intertwined: Saving Sage-Grouse (and Helping Elk, Too) (PDF, 3.1MB)
About 40 percent of sage-grouse habitat occurs on privately owned lands. NRCS and its conservation partners in 11 western states have worked to improve sage-grouse habitat for some time.
The NRCS Chief built on these efforts by declaring the Sage-Grouse Initiative a national priority. NRCS continues to coordinate with ranchers to improve habitat for this at-risk bird.
The same conservation practices that promote healthy grazing lands also benefit the sage grouse and other wildlife.
The same factors that negatively affect sage-grouse also affect the sustainability of native grazing lands:
- Land fragmentation
- Invasive species
- Unsustainable grazing systems
- Conifer encroachment
Farmers and ranchers can proactively work to conserve the sage grouse and help keep it from being listed under the Endangered Species Act (ESA).
NRCS Farm Bill conservation programs, including the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) and the Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP), are helping ranchers improve habitat for the sage-grouse.
The core NRCS conservation practice for Sage-Grouse Initiative is 645 - Upland Wildlife Habitat Management (PDF,57KB).
Visit the Sage-Grouse Initiative website.
USDA Bi-State Commitments for Greater Sage Grouse Action Plan
Joint Assurance of Implementation Letter from NRCS and Forest Service Chiefs to USFWS Director (PDF, 1.4MB)
NRCS Proposal to Implement Bi-State Sage Grouse Action Plan (PDF, 1.7MB)
Forest Service Bi-State Greater Sage Grouse Habitat Restoration 10-Year Work Plan (PDF, 1.5MB)
Initiative Data For FY 2010 - 2011(opens in new tab)