Skip Navigation

News Release

NRCS Not Offering CIG in Washington State

Bonda Habets, State Resource Conservationist

Conservation Innovation Grants Will Not Be Offered at the State Level

SPOKANE, WA (January 6, 2014) — The Washington USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) announced today that it will not be calling for proposals for state Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG) in fiscal year 2014.

Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) funds have historically been used in Washington State to award competitive grants to non-federal governmental or non-governmental organizations, tribes, or individuals.

“Due to another year of sequestration and less money allotted to the FY14 EQIP budget, NRCS in Washington State will not be offering a state CIG program,” said Bonda Habets, Washington State Resource Conservationist and State CIG program Manager for NRCS.  

Typically, CIGs have been offered annually at both the state and national level. According to Habets, the national CIG program is awaiting funding. NRCS has yet to post a call for proposals for the national CIG, but is expected to do so in early 2014.

Individual states can exercise the option to set aside local EQIP funding for a state CIG program. This year, however, NRCS in Washington is unable to offer the grants on a state level. Anyone interested in the national program should continue to watch the national website for an official announcement at

NRCS provides funding opportunities for agriculturalists and others through various programs. CIGs are intended to stimulate the development and adoption of innovative conservation approaches and technologies (not research) that also support agricultural production.

For more information on programs offered by NRCS in Washington State, visit the homepage.


USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service helps America’s farmers and ranchers conserve the Nation’s soil, water, air and other natural resources. All programs are voluntary and offer science-based solutions that benefit both the landowner and the environment.
Follow NRCS-WA on Twitter. Checkout other conservation-related stories on the USDA Blog. Watch videos on NRCS’ YouTube channel. 


USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).