Juab County Resource Assessment
County Resource Assessment
Juab County was formed in 1852, including portions of what is now Nevada. The
size of the county was reduced in 1854 and 1856 along with various other changes
through the years until the current borders were set.
The first real settlement came in 1851 when Mormon pioneers settled Nephi.
They relied mainly on agriculture for their livelihoods. In 1869, silver, gold,
copper and other precious metals were discovered in the Tintic region. Many
mining towns, such as Diamond, Silver City and Eureka popped up during this era.
By 1899, it was considered to be one of the richest mining districts in the
entire nation. Mining continued into the mid-1900's with the operations scaling
down through the rest of the century.
Area: 3,412 square miles; population: 5,817 (in 1990); county seat: Nephi;
origin of county name: from the Ute word meaning flat or level plain; principal
cities/towns: Nephi (3,515), Mona (584), Eureka (562), Levan (416); economy:
agriculture, manufacturing, mining, recreation; points of interest: Historic
Tintic Mining District, Little Sahara Recreation Area, Old Pony Express and
Stage Route, Yuba Reservoir, Goshute Indian Reservation, Tintic Mining Museum in
Eureka, Mount Nebo Wilderness Area, Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge.
Complete Assessment - Land Use Statistics
The following document requires
County, Utah Resource Assessment (PDF, 830 KB)
Summary Assessment - Land Use Statistics
|Conservation Reserve Program