Seasonal High Tunnel Initiative
To be considered for funding, applicants must submit completed applications by December 19, 2014. The Seasonal High Tunnel Initiative follows the General EQIP payment schedule.
The Seasonal High Tunnel Initiative is a voluntary program that provides financial and technical assistance to agricultural producers. The goal of the initiative is to assist producers to extent the growing season for high value crops in an environmentally safe manner.
The Initiative may assist producers in addressing a resource concern by:
- improving plant quality
- improving soil quality
- reducing nutrient and pesticide transportation
- improving air quality through reduced transportation inputs
- reducing energy use by providing consumers with a local source of fresh produce.
Who Can Apply
Eligible applicants include individuals, legal entities, Indian Tribes, or joint operations engaged in agricultural production. Organic producers who grow agricultural commodities on eligible land and have natural resource concerns which may be addressed by a seasonal high tunnel may participate in the Seasonal High Tunnel Initiative.
Eligible producers interested in entering into a financial assistance agreement with NRCS for EQIP assistance may file an application at any time. Applicants must be:
- An agricultural producer and have control of eligible land for the term of the proposed contract period; eligible land includes cropland.
- In compliance with the provisions for protecting the interests of tenants and sharecroppers, including the provisions for sharing EQIP payments on a fair and equitable basis.
- In compliance with the highly erodible land and wetland conservation compliance provisions of the 2014 Farm Bill.
- Within appropriate payment limitation requirements, as specified in the 2014 Farm Bill.
- In compliance with adjusted gross income requirements of the 2014 Farm Bill.
EQIP Application Information
NRCS accepts and processes EQIP applications on a continuous basis. However, NRCS sets dates to prioritize applications as funding allows. To be considered for funding, applicants must submit completed applications by December 19, 2014, Contact your local NRCS office for more details.
Phone: (803) 253-3893