Skip

News Release

NRCS Assistance for Nonagricultural Land Impacted by the March 2010 Floods

NRCS Assistance for Nonagricultural Land Impacted by the March 2010 Floods

Application deadline has been extended to June 30, 2010!

The recent record rainfall events during the month of March in Rhode Island have caused extensive flooding in numerous areas throughout the state. These floodwaters have resulted in business closures, property damage, and temporary evacuations in many cases.

The USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Rhode Island State Office has received funds from our national headquarters office for the Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP).

The EWP Program, administered by NRCS, assists sponsors, landowners, and operators in implementing emergency recovery measures to relieve imminent hazards to life and property created by a natural disaster that causes a sudden impairment of a watershed. No State or Federal roads are covered under the EWP Program.  Impairments may include but are not limited to:

· Debris-clogged stream channels

· Undermined and unstable streambanks

· Jeopardized water control structures

· Wind-borne debris removal

· Damaged sites where protective vegetation has been removed by fires or storms

This program provides both technical and financial assistance to local sponsoring authorities in order to preserve life and property. If a site is eligible, NRCS provides up to 75 percent of the costs for the repairs. The other 25 percent must be provided by a local sponsor and can be in the form of cash or in-kind services. The local sponsor can be a city, county, conservation district, or Tribal organization.

As a sponsor, you must submit a formal request to Mr. R. Phou Vongkhamdy, State Conservationist for assistance within 90 days of the natural disaster occurrence, or 90 days from the date when access to the site is available. Your request must include a statement that you understand your responsibilities as a sponsor and are willing to pay your portion of the cost-share as well as information pertaining to the natural disaster including the nature, location and scope of the problems and the assistance needed. 

The following documents requireAcrobat Reader

Please click the following link for a sample sponsor letter. Sample Sponsor Letter  (45 KB)

The requests for assistance should be sent to:

R. Phoukham Vongkhamdy, STC
USDA – Natural Resources Conservation Service
60 Quaker Lane, Suite 46
Warwick, RI 02886

If you identify possible projects within your community, please contact our office and submit an official request for assistance under the EWP Program.

Please feel free to contact Michael Kenyon, NRCS Assistant State Conservationist for Field Operations (ASTC-Field Operations), to provide you with additional information in regard to the EWP program. Telephone 401-822-8821 E-mail: michael.kenyon@ri.usda.gov.