EQIP On-Farm Energy Initiative
The evaluaation and installation of electronic controls that improve energy efficiency of irrigation pumps is just one example of how NRCS helps producers understand and fund sound energy resource use.
What Is The On-Farm Energy Initiative?
Agricultural producers continually search for ways to increase profitability while being good land stewards. Becoming energy efficient is one process that benefits a farm’s bottom line and helps lead the country toward energy independence, improves air quality, and enhances water conservation efforts.
NRCS provides the nation’s agricultural producers with technical information and financial assistance that:
- Quantifies how energy can be used more efficiently to reduce input costs
- Increases productivity per unit of energy consumed by equipment and lighting
- Reduces air pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions caused when energy is generated for agricultural use
What Is An AgEMP Analysis?
Through the EQIP National On-Farm Energy Initiative, financial assistance is available for site-specific energy analysis of eligible farmsteads and irrigation systems. This analysis, known as an Agricultural Energy Management Plan or AgEMP, is completed by NRCS-certified Technical Service Providers. The AgEMP meets industry-standards and clearly shows:
- Itemized energy use by individual systems to establish a baseline for electricity and other fuel improvements
- Recommendations for equipment improvements and upgrades
- Amount of potential energy reductions and financial savings for each recommendation
- Cost estimates of potential improvements
- Length of expected payback for energy efficiency upgrades
With a completed AgEMP or other qualifying energy audit, eligible producers can apply for EQIP assistance for the purchase and installation of improvements for:
- Plate coolers
- Ventilation and fans
- Irrigation pumps
- Grain dryers
- Greenhouse improvements
- Maple syrup evaporators
- Heating and refrigeration units
- Insulation and building envelope sealing
- Motor controls and variable speed drives
Who Is Eligible To Apply?
Producers of agricultural commodities on eligible land with inefficient energy use may be eligible to participate in EQIP’s On-Farm Energy Initiative. More information on EQIP is available on the EQIP homepage.
How To Apply For EQIP
To initiate an application, producers should work through their local NRCS office. NRCS accepts and processes EQIP applications on a continuous basis. However, each state may establish one or more application deadlines in order to make funding decisions. Applications submitted after these dates will be evaluated and considered for subsequent funding opportunities. Producers must submit a complete program application and other documentation to support eligibility to be considered for financial assistance through EQIP.
Information about how to apply for assistance through EQIP, as well as deadlines specific to the available application periods for each state is available online. Click on the state where the property that you are interested in enrolling in EQIP is located.
For more information about on-farm energy efficiency, please visit the NRCS Energy page.