Skip

News Release

NRCS Helps Over 150 Homes and Properties Damaged by Storms

Contact:
Molly McDonough
(717) 237-2208

Email this page Email This Page
        
By Courtney Beasley, NRCS Public Affairs Intern       Bradford County property before EWP
Over 150 Pennsylvania homes and properties damaged by Tropical Storm Lee and Hurricane Irene are receiving assistance from USDA’s Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) program. Through EWP, the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is working in conjunction with state and local entities to stabilize stream banks, remove debris, and reduce hazards that threaten life and property caused by erosion and flooding.

Landowner Angela Carl of Bradford County is one of the many individuals who were severely affected by both storms. In August and September 2011, severe flooding destroyed the stream bank on her property and damaged the foundation of her home, her porch, and septic system.

Bradford County - Completion of a 290 foot riprap for protection from future stormsWorking in conjunction with the Bradford County Conservation District (the local project sponsor), NRCS began work to stabilize the stream bank stabilization on February 25, 2012. The nearly $60,000 project was completed just two-and-a-half weeks later on March 9th. NRCS covered 75 percent of the cost using EWP funds and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) contributed the remaining 25 percent. Ms. Carl’s project not only protects her home but other homes downstream against future storms.

Under EWP, all property owners are required to have a project sponsor represent them. County Conservation Districts, Townships, and Counties are all eligible sponsors for the EWP projects.

NRCS takes pride in helping people help the land. To learn more about our services, contact your local USDA Service Center, or visit www.pa.nrcs.usda.gov.



##

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write:
USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights
1400 Independence Ave., S.W.
Washington, DC 20250-9410
or
Call (800) 795-3272 (voice)
(202) 720-6382 (TDD).