Skip Navigation

News Release

USDA Provides $12 M For Disaster Assistance in Pennsylvania

Molly McDonough
(717) 237-2208

email icon Email This Page

HARRISBURG, PA, January 23, 2012 -- USDA's Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) State Conservationist Denise Coleman today announced that Pennsylvania will receive $12 million to help with natural disaster recovery efforts throughout the state. The funding will enable NRCS to assist local government entities in removing debris from streams and stabilizing severely eroding stream banks that threaten homes, business, and utilities. This funding will be used to help restore streams whose natural flows were disrupted by the flooding from Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee the end of last summer.

"These funds will provide critical assistance to Pennsylvania residents and businesses and continue the federal partnership for environmental restoration projects on private lands damaged by natural disaster," Coleman said.

The funding is being made available through the NRCS Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program. EWP assists with the implementation of critical emergency measures needed to address public safety and restoration efforts. Typical projects funded under EWP include removing debris from waterways, protecting eroded stream banks, reseeding damaged areas, and in some cases, purchasing floodplain easements on eligible land.

Through EWP, NRCS provides up to 75 percent of the construction funds needed to restore areas damaged by flooding. The community, local, or state sponsor for the work must pay the remaining costs, which can be provided by cash and/or in-kind services.

NRCS provides products and services that enable people to be good stewards of the nation's soil, water, and related natural resources on non-Federal lands. Additional information about EWP and other USDA conservation programs is available at your local USDA Service Center and online at: under “Programs and Services.”


USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write:
USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights
1400 Independence Ave., S.W.
Washington, DC 20250-9410
Call (800) 795-3272 (voice)
(202) 720-6382 (TDD).