Skip Navigation

FY 13 Grassland Reserve Program

Grassland Reserve Program - FY 2013

Application cutoff date is April 19, 2013. Applications must be received at the local NRCS office by April 19th to be considered for ranking.

GRP is a voluntary program to help landowners protect, restore and enhance grasslands.

The Grassland Reserve Program (GRP) is a voluntary program offering landowners the opportunity to protect, restore, and enhance grasslands, including rangeland, pastureland, shrubland, and certain other lands. The purpose of GRP is to help landowners and operators protect grazing uses and related conservation values by conserving and restoring grassland resources on eligible private lands through rental contracts and easements. The program emphasizes support for grazing operations, which maintains or improves plant and animal biodiversity and protects the property from conversion to uses other than grazing.

The benefits of GRP include:  protecting vital grazing lands from conversion, promoting agricultural stability, increasing forage production, maintaining and improving wildlife habitat and biodiversity of plant and wildlife populations, and providing scenic and recreational opportunities.

By participating in GRP, landowners/operators retain ownership of the land and the right to use the land for grazing and other compatible uses.

Administration of GRP is a coordinated effort between the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) and the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). FSA is the lead agency responsible for the administration of rental contracts and financial activities of the program, while NRCS has the lead responsibility for technical assistance, regulatory compliance, and easement administration.

How GRP Works in Oregon:

Eligible Landowners or operators who manage their grasslands, have an active grazing operation, and who want to maintain and prevent their land from future conversion from uses other than grazing can apply for GRP at their local USDA Service Center.

For fiscal year 2013, NRCS Oregon will give high priority to applications, particularly easements, that enroll sagebrush-dominated grazing lands within and adjacent to sage-grouse core area habitats. Applicants enrolled in the program retain the right to conduct common grazing practices while providing high quality habitat for sage-grouse. Core area habitat primarily occurs in Baker, Crook, Deschutes, Harney, Lake and Malheur counties.

Enrollment Options

GRP targets vulnerable grasslands that are subject to conversion to urban uses, cropland, or other non-grazing uses through the use of perpetual easements, or through 10, 15, or 20-year rental agreements.

GRP is administered through the coordinated efforts of the Farm Service Agency (FSA) and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).


To be eligible for GRP the applicant must be a person, legal entity, joint operator, or Indian tribe, who operates or manages livestock on private or tribal grazing lands. The applicant must also meet the Adjusted Gross Income requirement for the program and be in compliance with highly erodible lands and wetland provisions.

The land must be a viable grazing operation for which grazing is the predominant use, must be under the threat of conversion to other uses other than grazing, and must have plant and wildlife biodiversity.

Specific records include, but are not limited to:

The following documents require Adobe Acrobat

  • Proof of Identity: Authorized persons may be required to show a valid state driver’s license, passport or other personal identification as well as Social Security or EIN numbers, address and other information.
  • Form CCC-933 (PDF, 161 KB): Payment Eligibility Average Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) Certification and Consent to Disclosure of Tax Information
  • Form AD-1026 (PDF, 159 KB): Highly Erodible Land Conservation and Wetland Conservation Certification.
  • Form CCC-901 (PDF, 52 KB): Entity Member Information, if applicable.
  • Form SF-1199A (PDF, 92.1 KB): Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form.
  • Signature Authority: Self-certification of signature authority as indicated on Form CCC-901 or documents such as articles of incorporation, charter, bylaws, partnership agreements, trust agreements, wills and similar legal evidence.
  • Land Ownership or control: The applicant may be required to provide evidence of control of land through ownership documents (deeds, etc.) or lease information (rental agreements, permits, lease, etc) for the length of the contract.
  • Map depicting ownership boundaries for all land the applicant owns and operates.
  • Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) Number: All entities/organizations using an Employer Identification Number (EIN) are required to obtain a DUNS number and be registered on the System for Award Management (SAM) website when submitting a conservation program application.
  • Form FSA-211 (PDF, 73 KB): Power of Attorney, if applicable

Application and Ranking Material

Applications will be ranked and prioritized for funding based on the length of the proposed agreement, overall conservation benefit, and benefits to plant and wildlife biodiversity, and other factors. Lands enrolled in Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) contracts that will expire in the next 12 months will also receive funding priority.

Oregon GRP screening and ranking information:

The following documents require Microsoft Excel

Oregon Screening Criteria (XLS, 1.62 MB) -- Screening is required prior to ranking.

Oregon Ranking Form (XLS, 4.70 MB) -- For Fiscal Year 2013 applications focusing on grazing and wildlife habitat in sagebrush-dominated lands within and adjacent to sage-grouse core area habitats will be a priority for funding.

Application materials can be obtained at their local USDA Service Center. Application materials can also be found below.

The following documents require Adobe Acrobat

GRP Process Flow Chart (PDF, 88 KB)

Form NRCS-CPA-1200, Conservation Program Application (PDF, 96 KB) – Signed and dated by all program participants or authorized persons

Easement Option:

NRCS-LTP-60, (PDF, 60 KB) - Grassland Reserve Program Conservation Easement (Deed Form)
NRCS-LTP-50, (PDF, 29 KB) -Agreement for the Purchase of a Conservation Easement
AD-1158, (PDF, 98 KB) - Subordination Agreement and Limited Lien Waiver

Rental Agreement Option:

AD-1153 (PDF, 108 KB)
CC-920 (PDF, 107 KB)
CC-920 Appendix (PDF, 146 KB)

Information for Cooperating Entities Applying for GRP Funds

The 2008 Farm Bill authorized USDA to enter into cooperative agreements with entities (State, Tribal, or local government or qualified non-governmental organizations) to enable them to acquire easements. NRCS will pay up to 50 percent of the purchase price of a GRP conservation easement as determined by a Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisals Practices (USPAP) appraisal. GRP funds may not be used for easement transaction costs, such as surveys, appraisal, title insurance, legal fees, costs of conservation easement monitoring, and other related transaction costs. Entities may apply at the Oregon NRCS State Office for parcels with pending offers that meet GRP eligibility requirements.

To ensure your application is competitive for GRP funding, please be as thorough as possible in providing the requested information on the Entity Worksheet and Landowner Interview Worksheet. Provide supplemental information if you feel this will help provide a more accurate or complete picture of the easement offering.

For questions or to submit applications, contact:

Bari Williams, Oregon Easement Specialist
Natural Resources Conservation Service
1201 NE Lloyd Blvd
Suite 900
Portland, Oregon 97232

Program Information

The materials below provide further information about the program.

GRP Interim Final Rule, January 21, 2009 (102.18 KB) 
Fact Sheet (PDF, 107 KB)

GRP Project and Funding Information

For Fiscal Year 2013, approximately $320,000 in GRP funding is available in Oregon.  Applications focusing on grazing and wildlife habitat in sagebrush-dominated lands within and adjacent to sage-grouse core area habitats will be a priority for funding.



For more information on GRP, contact the local FSA or NRCS office. Click here to find contact information.

Oregon NRCS GRP Rental Agreement contact:
Todd Peplin, (541) 923-4358

Oregon NRCS Easement option contact:
Bari Williams,  (541) 414-3226

National GRP Information

National GRP Web site