Skip Navigation

FY 2015 National On Farm Energy Initiative

The Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) for Energy Conservation

The application ranking periods are:

  • January 16, 2015
  • March 20, 2015

On Farmy Energy Initiative






Agricultural producers continually search for ways to increase profitability while being good land stewards. Becoming energy efficient is one process that benefits a farm’s bottom line and helps lead the country toward energy independence, improves air quality, reduces air pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions, and enhances water conservation efforts.


The purpose of the National On Farm Energy Initiative (NOFEI) is to assist producers identify ways to conserve energy on their farms through the development of Agricultural Energy Management Plans (also known as energy audits) and provide financial assistance to implement various measures and conservation practices recommended in their Agricultural Energy Management Plan.


Applicant: Eligible applicants include individuals, legal entities, Indian Tribes, or joint operations engaged in agricultural production. . Producers who grow agricultural commodities on eligible land and have resource concerns which may be addressed by energy conservation may participate in EQIP’s On-Farm Energy Initiative. For more detailed information on applicant eligibility, go to: EQIP Eligibility

Historically Underserved participants may also receive higher payment rates in addition to being considered in high priority funding pools. See the Limited Resource Producer, Beginning Farmers and Ranchers, and Veteran page for the NRCS definition of the Historically Underserved.

Land: Eligible lands for the National On Farm Energy Initiative (NOFEI) are cropland, rangeland, pastureland, and farmstead.


Through the National On-Farm Energy Initiative eligible producers who do not have an existing energy audit on their farm may apply for financial assistance to have an energy conservation activity plan developed through a Technical Service Provider (TSP).

What is an energy conservation activity plans (CAP): An energy conservation activity plan is an agricultural energy management plan (energy audit) that meets ANSI/ASABE S612 Standards and identifies energy conservation practices needed on the farm or ranch. With a CAP, producers can then apply for financial assistance to implement the needed conservation practices. Energy conservation activity plans may only be developed by Technical Service Providers. Although NRCS personnel are prohibited from developing CAPs, they can assist with the development of conservation plans to address all identified resource concerns on the farm or ranch.

The Conservation Activity Plan a producer can apply for is:

Agricultural Energy Management Plan (AgEMP) (DOC, 141 KB)

Financial and technical assistance may also be provide to eligible producers to plan and install energy conservation measures identified in an energy audit or a conservation Activity plan (CAP) such as:

  • Irrigation water management
  • Pumping Plant
  • Residue Management
  • Light System Improvements
  • Building Envelop Improvements

Producers can apply for financial assistance for activities in their existing energy audit providing the energy audit meet these requirements:

Practice Payment List:
FY15 On Farm Energy Initiative (NOFEI) Practice Payment Lists and Payment Rates


Applications - for the National On Farm Energy Initiative can be obtained at your local NRCS office. NRCS can also assist the applicant by developing a conservation plan that includes conservation activities and practices that address resource problems while improving farming operation on their land.

Ranking Criteria - EQIP applications are evaluated and then prioritized for funding. Applications that best address natural resources as described in the ranking criteria are prioritized for funding. National On Farm Energy Initiative State and Local ranking questions

For More Information:

National NRCS National On Farm Energy initiative webpage



Todd Peplin
NRCS Farm Bill Specialist

1201 NE Lloyd Blvd, Suite 900
Portland, Oregon 97232
Phone: (503) 414-3292

Local Contact
Please contact the District Conservationist in the USDA Service Center nearest the location of your property.