Skip Navigation

Miscellaneous Purchases

Miscellaneous Purchases

A printable version of this page is available. The document requires Acrobat Reader
Miscellaneous Purchases (PDF; 11 KB)

Vendor Information:
Offices are mandated to utilize purchase cards whenever possible for miscellaneous purchases. The purchase card is the quickest and most efficient method of payment for the vendor. Therefore, if a vendor does not accept the purchase card, offices should look for an alternative vendor who does accept the purchase card.

However, if a vendor does not accept the purchase card and no alternative vendor is available, the vendor must be set up for electronic funds transfer (EFT) payment for government disbursements in the NFC vendor table (VEND). The vendor code form is for miscellaneous payments (non-program payments), and must be completed and signed by the new vendors. The vendor code form is used to set up or change a vendor’s EFT information. All new vendors and any vendors without direct deposit must supply the required EFT information by filling out the Vendor Code Form. Any changes in the vendor’s EFT should be submitted on the Vendor Code Form. After the vendor is established in VEND, the following options are available for payment to the vendor:

  1. If a vendor sends monthly statements, offices should hold invoices until the monthly statement is received. The statement should be stamped with the certificate of receipt stamp, signed and dated by the DC or supervisor of the office, and then forwarded along with the invoices and any other supporting documentation to the Zone Clerks.
  2. If a charge account can be set up with the vendor, when receiving the invoice, the DC or supervisor of the office should stamp the invoice with a receipt stamp, sign and date, and forward the invoice along with any supporting documentation to their Zone Clerk.
  3. Employees may still claim reimbursement for travel related cash transactions by submitting a SF-1164 Claim for Reimbursement for Expenditures on Official Business, or AD-616 Travel Voucher with supporting documentation to the Zone Clerks for review. OF-1129 should be used for miscellaneous cash transactions.

Due to the Prompt Payment Act, and to ensure prompt payment to vendors, offices should submit invoices/statements as soon as they are received. Invoices should be checked to ensure they have a complete and current address. A tax ID number or social security number will be required on all invoices each time the invoice is submitted for payment.

Zone Clerks will check the invoices and supporting documentation for accuracy, completeness, and proper certifications, then forward to Financial Management.

Some vendors state their banks do not provide identification information regarding electronic funds transfer (EFT) payments or their banks charge a fee to obtain details regarding EFT payments. The Treasury Department has a system called the Payment Advice Internet Delivery (PAID) system. PAID provides the vendor with a free method to obtain USDA EFT information direct from Treasury. Vendors sign up online at the PAID website at Three payment delivery options are available: (1) web access only, (2) web access and e-mail notification of when a payment has been made, and (3) web access and e-mail delivery of remittance information. If you have any questions on EFT or setting up vendor files, please contact your Zone Clerk or Financial Management.

Conference Registration fees: Conference registration fees to vendors who do not accept the Purchase Card should be sent in writing along with a copy of the approved meeting approval form, registration form, tax ID #, and vendor code form to Birdie Neal. Questions concerning payment of registration fees should be directed to Ms. Neal at 405.742.1225. Conference fees can be paid by the employee through their personal funds and reimbursed on their AD-616 travel voucher after travel is completed. Conference fees cannot be paid using the Travel Charge Card.

Purchase of Drinking Water: Government funds cannot be used to purchase bottled water or delivered water services unless the office water supply has been declared unsafe for drinking by the local public health authorities. If the local public heath authorities have declared water unfit for drinking purposes, employees should notify Management Services.

Purchase of Items of Apparel: The Comptroller General has ruled that "every employee for the Government is required to present himself for duty properly attired according to the requirements of his position."

There are three statutory provisions, which permit the purchase of items of apparel from appropriated funds in certain circumstances. In order for an item to be authorized by 5 U.S.C. § 7903, three tests must be met: (1) the item must be “special” and not part of the ordinary and usual furnishings an employee may reasonably be expected to provide for himself/herself; (2) the item must be for the benefit of the government, that is, essential to the safe and successful accomplishment of the work, and not solely for the protection of the employee, and (3) the employee must be engaged in hazardous duty.

The Comptroller General has ruled that raincoats and umbrellas for employees who must frequently go out in the rain are not special equipment, but are personal items which the employee must furnish. Work gloves, hats, running shoes, and boots are also improper purchases. Waders and rubber boots may be purchased, however they are to remain the property of the government, are to be kept at the employee’s ODS and are not for the use of any particular employee.

Title 120, Part 406.61-14, of the General Manual identifies protective equipment, clothing, and supplies which can be purchased with government funds. It is state policy that only hard hats, ATV helmets and goggles, gloves for use with ATV, and the protective gear required for Bio Security may be purchased without pre-approval from the Management Services section in the state office.

Employees should not purchase items of apparel with government funds and will be required to reimburse the government for any unauthorized purchases. If you have any questions, please contact Management Services, or Cassandra Sites, Financial Management.