Skip Navigation

On-farm Secondary Containment Facility

Practice Code: 710
Reporting Unit: Number (No.)

A permanent facility designed to provide secondary containment of oil and petroleum products used on-farm.

This conservation practice does not apply to the storage of milk or milk products.

Purposes and Benefits

To minimize the risk of accidental release of stored oil and petroleum products used in agricultural operations to support the following purposes:

  • Control accidental release of oil and petroleum products to prevent contamination of groundwater and surface waters.
  • Provide measures for a safe, effective and timely manner for clean-up of a spill or leak.

Ground Disturbing Potential of Conservation Practices

This is a potential ground disturbing conservation practice. Any project with ground disturbing or potential ground disturbing practices planned may need to be submitted for review by the State Historic Preservation Officer and Tribal Historic Preservation Officers. Please see the Cultural Resources Review Process Flowchart for an outline of this process.

View a list of conservation practices used in New York State, and their ground disturbing potential.   

Conservation Practice Documents

Web link image: Field Office Technical GuideDocuments associated with this and other conservation practices are available at the NRCS Field Office Technical Guide Web site.


Related Conservation Practices

This practice is commonly used in a Conservation Management System with practices such as:

Farmstead Energy Improvement

Conservation Activity Plans (CAP)

The Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) offers financial assistance for payment of practices and conservation activities involving the development of plans appropriate for the eligible land. The conservation practice associated with plan development is known as a “Conservation Activity Plan” or CAP.

Oil Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC)

If you want to learn how you can protect natural resources on your farm or forest land, please contact your local NRCS Service Center.


How to Get Assistance




< Back to Conservation Practices for New York