Wetland Restoration and Enhancement | NRCS NEDC
Wetland Restoration and Enhancement (000081)
This is a basic interdisciplinary course in wetland restoration and enhancement where participants learn to assess wetland functions, develop restoration and enhancement plans, and implement plans on degraded wetlands. The course emphasizes wetland ecology, wildlife needs, enhancement of wetland functions, conceptual design and implementation processes, and monitoring considerations. The course consists of two portions. The first portion is a self-pace workbook to be reviewed prior to attending the on-site portion of the class. The workbook contains readings and exercises on wetland ecology and wildlife principles applicable to different wetland types. The on-site portion provides detailed discussions, field demonstrations, and reinforces the principles covered in the workbook. Depending upon enrollment the course location will be selected to emphasize the following wetland types: bottomland hardwoods, prairie potholes, Carolina bay and flats, floodplains, northwest freshwater wetlands, and others.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
Demonstrate the importance of interdisciplinary communications in wetland restoration activities.
- Describe the physical, chemical, and biological processes of a wetland.
- Describe the ecological processes necessary for restoring and enhancing wetlands.
- Describe the methods used to restore, manage, maintain, and monitor the wetland system.
- Determine the existing and potential functions of a prospective restoration or enhancement sites.
- Complete a wetland site evaluation and determine associated opportunities and constraints.
- As part of an interdisciplinary team, restore/enhance wetlands in the geographic area of your duty station.
Review the Wetland Restoration & Enhancement Workbook prior to attending the on-site portion of the course.
Wetland Restoration & Enhancement Workbook is self-paced.
On-site portion of course is 32 hours.
NRCS and other agency employees who develop or review wetland restoration/enhancement plans..
Norman C. Melvin, Team Leader
AgLearn to request enrollment in Wetland Restoration and Enhancement