Skip Navigation

2013 Land Eligibility for the Environmental Quality Incentives Program

Eligible land includes agricultural and nonindustrial private forest land, and other land on which agricultural products, livestock, or forest-related products are produced and resource concerns may be addressed.

'Agricultural land' means

  • Cropland
  • Rangeland
  • Grassland
  • Pasture land
  • Other agricultural lands including incidental areas included in the agricultural operation
  • Nonindustrial private forest land
Land is eligible for enrollment if the following criteria are met
  • Agricultural or nonindustrial private forest land
  • Privately owned, publicly owned, or Indian land
  • The applicant has control of the land for the length of the proposed contract through deed, lease, or other written authorization
  • If the applicant does not own the land, the landowner must give written consent to install, operate, and maintain the practice through the lifespan of the practice.
  • Irrigated lands must have an irrigation history 2 of the last 5 years prior to application
Land in other Conservation Programs
  • EQIP can not pay for the same practice enrolled on the same land as any  other USDA conservation program.
  • Land enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) and the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP) is only eligible in the last year of the contract and no practices may be installed until after the CRP or CREP contract has expired.

For More Information

For more information and updates about EQIP, please refer to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Web site, the national NRCS EQIP Web site, or contact one of the Montana NRCS personnel listed below.


Kris Berg, Program Specialist
Phone: 406-587-6849
Email: Kris.Berg

Tim Ouellette, Assistant State Conservationist for Programs
Phone: 406-587-6794
Email: Tim.Ouellette