News Release

Entities Need DUNS, SAM Activation for NRCS Payments

Julie Malvitz

BOZEMAN, Mont., Jan. 31, 2014–Farmers and ranchers whose business is set up as an entity must obtain a DUNS number and have an active registration in the System for Award Management (SAM) to receive payments under a funded contract.

A DUNS number is a unique nine-character identification number provided by the commercial company Dun & Bradstreet (D&B). You may request one through the D&B DUNS special toll-free number for Federal award applicants: 1 (866) 705-5711. Tell the operator that you are applying to a Federal financial assistance program and need to register for a DUNS number. You can also register for a DUNS number through D&B's website at Obtaining a DUNS number is free for all entities doing business with the federal government.

Once you have a DUNS number, you must register with System for Award Management and complete other reporting requirements. To register with SAM, go to  SAM is a free government-wide registry for vendors doing business with the Federal government. Your SAM registration needs to be renewed every year to remain active.


An equal opportunity provider and employer