Skip Navigation

News Release

NRCS Offers Wildfire Recovery Funding

Tim Ouellette


Bozeman--The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is offering technical and financial assistance to agricultural landowners impacted by wildfires throughout Montana.

NRCS is accepting applications for its Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) to assist with livestock grazing deferment, weed control, critical area plantings, and, in some instances, livestock fencing. NRCS accepts conservation program applications year-round; however, applications for 2012 wildfire recovery funding must be submitted by November 16, 2012.

“NRCS in Montana is prepared to assist landowners deal with the effects of wildfires and dry weather conditions,” said Joyce Swartzendruber, NRCS state conservationist for Montana. “We want to work with landowners to help them reclaim their grazing operations.”

High winds, low humidity, and prolonged dry conditions led to the summer wildfires in several Montana counties, and many landowners are faced with making plans for rangeland recovery.

Landowners impacted by recent wildfires are encouraged to contact their local NRCS district conservationist to seek assistance. NRCS can provide technical and financial assistance to install measures that reduce post-fire damage and aid in the rehabilitation process. “We want to provide assistance that will help landowners and livestock producers accelerate the recovery of affected grazing land,” Swartzendruber said.

Landowners should visit their local NRCS office to apply for EQIP. Applications will be ranked, and those approved for funding will be offered a contract. Additional information is available from a local USDA Service Center, which can be found at


The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers. If you believe you experienced discrimination when obtaining services from USDA, participating in a USDA program, or participating in a program that receives financial assistance from USDA, you may file a complaint with USDA. Information about how to file a discrimination complaint is available from the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights. USDA prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex (including gender identity and expression), marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, political beliefs, genetic information, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.)

To file a complaint of discrimination, complete, sign, and mail a program discrimination complaint form, available at any USDA office location or online at, or write to:

USDA Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW.
Washington, DC 20250-9410

Or call toll free at (866) 632-9992 (voice) to obtain additional information, the appropriate office or to request documents. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).