Skip Navigation

Wetland Reserve Program (WRP)

The Wetlands Reserve Program is a voluntary program offering landowners the opportunity to protect, restore, and enhance wetlands on their property.  The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) provides technical and financial support to help landowners with their wetland restoration efforts.  The NRCS goal is to achieve the greatest wetland functions and values, along with optimum wildlife habitat, on every acre enrolled in the program.  This program offers landowners an opportunity to establish long-term conservation and wildlife practices and protection.

Landowners who choose to participate in WRP may sell a conservation easement to or enter into a cost-share restoration agreement with USDA to restore and protect wetlands. The program offers landowners three options: permanent easements, 30-year easements, and restoration cost-share agreements of a minimum 10-year duration.  Landowners and NRCS develop a plan for the restoration and maintenance of the wetland.

As a requirement of the program, landowners voluntarily limit future use of the land, yet retain private ownership. Landowners continue to control access to the land--and may lease the land--for hunting, fishing, and other undeveloped recreational activities. At any time, landowners may request that additional activities be evaluated to determine if they are a compatible use for the site. This request may include such items as permission to cut hay, graze livestock or harvest wood products. Compatible Use Authorizations are allowed if they are fully consistent with the protection and enhancement of the wetland.

How to Apply for WRP

Applications for the Wetland Reserve Program may be submitted year round.  Applications completed at a local USDA Service Center by February 15, 2013, will be considered for funding in fiscal year 2013. 

After completing a Conservation Program Application at your local USDA Service Center, a Wetland Emphasis Team Office employee will work with you to determine eligibility and complete a scoring worksheet for your application.  

The following document requires Acrobat Reader.

Missouri Wetlands Reserve Program Contact Information

The following document requires Acrobat Reader.

Wetland Emphasis Team 1    

Missouri Counties: Andrew, Atchison, Buchanan, Caldwell, Carroll, Chariton, Clinton, Daviess, DeKalb, Gentry, Grundy, Harrison, Holt, Linn, Livingston, Mercer, Nodaway, Putnam, Saline, Sullivan

James Maberry
Wetland Team Leader
1100 Morton Parkway
Chillicothe, MO  64601
(660) 646-6220 ext. 5

Wetland Emphasis Team 2

Missouri Counties: Adair, Audrain, Boone, Callaway, Clark, Cole, Cooper, Gasconade, Howard, Knox, Lewis, Lincoln, Macon, Marion, Maries, Moniteau, Monroe, Montgomery, Osage, Pike, Ralls, Randolph, Schuyler, Scotland, Shelby, St. Charles, St. Louis, Warren

Dan Bockhold 
Wetland Team Leader
4549 State Road H
Fulton, MO  65251
(573) 592-1400 ext. 6

Wetland Emphasis Team 3

Missouri Counties: Bollinger, Butler, Cape Girardeau, Carter, Dunklin, Franklin, Iron, Jefferson, Madison, Mississippi, New Madrid, Pemiscot, Oregon, Perry, Reynolds, Ripley, Scott, Shannon, St. Francois, Ste. Genevieve, Stoddard,  Washington, Wayne

Brian LeGrand
Wetland Team Leader
480 West Jackson Trails
Jackson, MO  63755
(573) 243-1467 ext. 6

Wetland Emphasis Team 4

Missouri Counties: Barry, Barton, Bates, Benton, Camden, Cass, Cedar, Christian, Clay, Crawford, Dade, Dallas, Dent, Douglas, Greene, Henry, Hickory, Howell, Jackson, Jasper, Johnson, Laclede, Lawrence, McDonald, Miller, Morgan, Newton, Ozark, Pettis, Platte, Phelps, Polk, Pulaski, Ray, Saline, St. Clair, Stone, Taney, Texas, Vernon, Webster, Wright

David Ritchhart
Wetland Team Leader
727 East PCA Road
Warrensburg, MO  64093
(660) 747-8200 ext. 4

State Wetland Reserve Program Manager

Harold Deckerd
Assistant State Conservationist (WR)
USDA NRCS State Office
601 Business Loop 70 West, Suite 250
Columbia, Missouri 65203
Phone: (573) 876-0912

Additional information on the Wetlands Reserve Program is available from your local USDA Service Center, State Cooperative Extension offices, and local conservation districts.