Skip Navigation

News Release

EWP Funding | Missouri NRCS

Missouri NRCS Receives $3 Million for Missouri River Flood Damages

Missouri is receiving $3 million in Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP) funding to repair damages caused last summer by flooding of the Missouri River. The money will help fund the applications for assistance in the11 Missouri counties that received disaster declarations last fall. They are: Atchison, Holt, Andrew, Buchanan, Platte, Ray, Carroll, Lafayette, Saline, Howard and Cooper counties. The money only applies to requests that were received from sponsors before a January 31 deadline for submitting applications.

Missouri earlier received about $29 million to assist with damages caused by a spring flood of the Mississippi River in southeastern Missouri. The later flood of the Missouri River is considered a separate disaster and required a separate appropriation by Congress.

EWP, administered by the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), responds to emergencies created by natural disasters. In Missouri, EWP is most often used to remove debris and sediment from drainage ditches and to repair holes in levees that protect agricultural land.

“With this funding, we will be able to address all of the applications that we received from those 11 counties along the Missouri River,” NRCS State Conservationist J.R. Flores says. “I am pleased that, together with the funding we received earlier for the Mississippi River flood, we are able to help Missouri landowners repair their land and get back to the business of farming.”

Public and private landowners are eligible for EWP assistance, but they must be represented by a project sponsor. Sponsors include legal subdivisions of the state, such as a city, county or conservation district. Once funding is allocated to a project, NRCS contracts the heavy construction work to local contractors. NRCS pays up to 75 percent of the construction costs and the remaining 25 percent is paid by the local sponsors.

For more information about EWP, please clickhere  or contact the local NRCS office serving your county. NRCS can be found in the phone book under “U.S. Government, Department of Agriculture,” oronline.


< Back to News...