Skip Navigation

News Release

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Programs to Assist Long-Term Flood Recovery in Duluth Region

Printable Version
Email this page     

Date: June 26, 2012

Alexander.Dubish, (FSA) Communications Coordinator, (651) 602-7726
Julie MacSwain, (NRCS) State Public Affairs Specialist, (651) 602-7859
Adam.czech, (RD) Public Affairs Specialist, (651) 602-7799


ST PAUL, MN,  June 26, 2012� Agricultural-related disasters are quite common and have personal and economic impacts that extend beyond the farm. Disaster assistance is available in many forms through multiple USDA agencies including the Farm Service Agency (FSA); Rural Development (RD) and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).

USDA staff in the Duluth region have been reaching out to farmers and communities impacted by flooding to offer assistance and assess damage. USDA officials want to be sure that everyone impacted by the flooding is aware of programs and assistance that could possibly help with long-term recovery efforts. Information on immediate assistance can be found at Homeland Security’s Minnesota Recovers website.

FSA programs include:
� Emergency Conservation Program (ECP)-Provides emergency funding and technical assistance for farmers to rehabilitate farmland damaged by natural disasters.
� Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP)-Compensates livestock producers for deaths in excess of normal mortality due to adverse weather.
� Emergency Loans (EM)-Farm operators may apply for low interest FSA EM loans, provided eligibility requirements are met.
� Disaster Debt Set-Aside (DSA)-FSA borrowers in designated disaster areas or continugous counties who are unable to make their scheduled payments on any debt may be eligible to have certain set-asides.
� Non-insured Crop Disaster Assistance (NAP)-provides financial assistance to producers of non-insurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory or prevented planting occurs due to natural disasters.
� Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees and Farm Raised Fish (ELAP)-Provides emergency relief to producers of livestock honey bees, and farm-raised fish and covers losses from disasters such as blizzards, floods and wildfires not adequately covered by any other disaster program.

NRCS program includes:

� Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP)-This program is designed for the installation of recovery measures to safety measures to safeguard lives and property as a result of a natural disaster. EWP addresses watershed impairments like debris-clogged stream channels, undermined and unstable stream banks, jeopardized water control structures, windborne debris removal and damaged upland sites stripped of vegetation by fire or drought. Landowners must be represented be represented by a project sponsor, e.g. city, county, conservation district, or tribe.

RD program includes:

� Make essential repairs and remove health and safety hazards in single-family homes
� Repair or replace community water and wastewater treatment systems
� Repair or replace essential community facilities such as hospitals, day cares, city buildings, emergency response vehicles and nonprofit headquarters
� Repair or replace multi-family housing apartment buildings
� Assist businesses with loan guarantees, revolving loans or grants to replace damage equipment or buildings, and provide working capital

For more information regarding USDA programs that are offered by FSA, NRCS and RD in Minnesota please review the following Web Resources:

Duluth Region USDA Contacts:
Danny Weber, NRCS District Conservationist, Duluth Field Office, (218)-720-5330 x3
Sid Jarvis, FSA County Executive Director, (218)-720-5330 x2
Mike Monson, RD, (218)-829-5965, ext. 4


Helping People Help the Land
An Equal Opportunity Provider and Employer