Skip Navigation

Grassland Reserve Program

Easement Program Funding Expiration - Update

The Agricultural Act of 2014 establishes the Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP).
It repeals FRPP, GRP, and WRP but does not affect the validity or terms of any FRPP, GRP, or WRP contract, agreement or easement entered into prior to the date of enactment on February 7, 2014 or any associated payments required to be made in connection with an existing FRPP, GRP, or WRP contract, agreement or easement.

For more information on ACEP, please visit the ACEP web page.

The Grassland Reserve Program (GRP) offers landowners the opportunity to protect privately owned grasslands. The GRP was re-authorized in the 2008 Farm Bill with the intent of supporting grazing operations and shrublands from the threat of conversion to uses other than grazing. The programs also supports maintaining and improving plant and animal biodiversity on land enrolled.  Payments under GRP cannot exceed $50,000 per year. Enrollment options include:

  • Permanent Easements.  Payments are based on the fair market value of the property less the grazing value.
  • Rental Agreements.  10, 15, or 20-year options are available.  Seventy-five percent of the grazing value will be paid in annual payments for the length of the agreement.
  • Restoration Agreements.  Payments of not more than 50 percent for the cost of carrying out the conservation practices or activities

Applications to participate in GRP are accepted at local NRCS field offices on a continuous basis. Cut-off dates are announced by NRCS when submitted applications will be ranked and selected for funding.

This document requires Adobe Acrobat Reader
Grassland Reserve Program "At a glance"
Conservation Programs Overview, Fact Sheets & Q&A

2011 General GRP Documents

These documents require Adobe Acrobat Reader
Rental Rates
Geographic Area Rate Caps (Text)
Geographic Area Rate Caps (Map)
Pre-Application Tool

Prescribed Grazing Documents
Designing a Prescribed Grazing System - Michigan Technical Note
Prescribed Grazing - Technical Guide
Prescribed Grazing Statement of Work

How to Apply

Applications are available on-line or in county USDA Service Centers.  The Natural Resources Conservation Service and the Farm Service Agency jointly administer this program, applications are accepted at either office. 


These documents require Adobe Acrobat Reader

Application for Long-Term Contracted Assistance (AD-1153)
Grassland Reserve Program Contract (CCC 920)
Grassland Reserve Program Contract Appendix (CCC 920 Appendix)
Grassland Reserve Program Conservation Easement Deed Sample (NRCS-CPA-255)
Grassland Reserve Program Subordination & Limited Lien Waiver (AD-1158)
Grassland Reserve Program Option Agreement to Purchase (AD-1157)

National GRP Website