Skip Navigation



                                                                                                    Date: June 6, 2011

Subject: PER – Request for Leave or Approved Absence

Purpose. To provide guidance on requesting leave (annual, sick, credit compensation, and compensation for travel).

Expiration Date. June 6, 2012

According to GM_360_415 – Part 415, requests for leave (annual, sick, credit comp and comp for travel) in excess of three workdays must be requested in advance on the OPM Form 71, Request for Leave or Approved Absence. The supervisor has the authority to approve or deny an employee’s request to take leave based on workload and work requirements. All sick leave in excess of three consecutive workdays must be supported by medical documentation and supervisors are responsible for maintaining these documents in the employee folders.

Comp time off must be used before an employee can be granted annual leave provided it will not result in the employee forfeiting accrued annual leave.

We have established September 30th as a baseline date for employees to exhaust comp time prior to using annual leave. Comp time and comp time for travel balances can only be carried for 26 pay periods; thereafter, they will automatically expire. Annual leave in excess of the maximum 240 hour carryover is forfeited at the end of the leave year. All “use or lose” annual leave must be scheduled and approved in writing no later than three pay periods before the end of the leave year.

Contact. If you have any further questions regarding leave, please contact Brian Vigue, State Administrative Officer at 207-990-9567 or email

/s/ Juan C. Hernandez

State Conservationist