Skip Navigation

News Release

NRCS Starts Signup for Ag Land, Wetland Conservation Easements

Holly L. Martien

 NRCS starts signup for ag land, wetland conservation easements

 Applications for new Farm Bill program due May 15, 2014

Alexandria, Louisiana, May 6, 2014– USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service is now accepting applications for its new Agricultural Conservation Easements Program. In order to be considered for this fiscal year’s funding, applications must be received by the local NRCS office by May 15, 2014. 

“This is an exciting new opportunity for even more people to get involved in conserving natural resources,” said Louisiana state conservationist Kevin Norton. “We encourage Indian tribes, state and local governments, non-governmental organizations and private landowners to contact their local NRCS office to find out how to apply.”

The ACEP, created through the 2014 Farm Bill, funds easements for agricultural lands and wetland reserves.

Approved agricultural easements would prevent productive working lands from being converted to non-agricultural uses and maximize protection of land devoted to food production. Cropland, rangeland, grassland, pastureland and nonindustrial private forestland are eligible. 

Wetland reserve easements would restore and enhance wetlands and improve habitat. Eligible lands include farmed or converted wetlands that can be successfully and cost-effectively restored.

Applications are currently being accepted for wetlands reserve easements and will be rated according to the easement’s potential for protecting and enhancing habitat for migratory birds, fish and other wildlife.

Applications must be submitted to the NRCS office by May 15, 2014. Applications are available at the local USDA Service Center and at

The ACEP combines NRCS’ former Farm and Ranch Lands Protection, Grassland Reserve and Wetlands Reserve programs.

Learn more about ACEP and other Farm Bill programs at

To get started with NRCS, visit your local USDA Service Centeror Learn more about the Farm Bill at

For more information on the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service or the Agricultural Conservation Easements Program, visit the NRCS web site at: or visit your local USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service office.


Follow NRCS in Louisiana on Twitter and YouTube


USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.  To file a complaint of discrimination, write:  USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), 800-877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), 866-367-8642 (Relay voice users).