Skip Navigation

News Release

USDA’s NRCS is Accepting a Second Round of Applications for Conservation Assistance in the Triplett Creek Watershed in Rowan County

Improvements to the Triplett Creek Watershed will Improve Forest Health and Reduce Wildfire Risk

Applications are currently being accepted; those received by August 15, 2014 will be considered in the second round of funding for the TriplettCreek Watershed Initiative.

Morehead, Kentucky, August 1, 2014. USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and the U. S. Forest Service (USFS) are partnering to bring needed improvements to the Triplett Creek Watershed in Rowan County. NRCS State Conservationist Karen Woodrich announced that the agency is investing up to $250,000 in financial assistance in the watershed this fiscal year to benefit water quality and wildlife habitat.

Most of the watershed lies within the Daniel Boone National Forest and over the years the timber quality has deteriorated due to weather events and fire occurrences. Within the national forest, the USFS will work on improvements, but on the private land in the watershed, the NRCS is offering landowners financial and technical assistance to voluntarily make improvements on their land. The Kentucky Division of Forestry and Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will also be important partners in this effort.

NRCS is currently accepting applications for this initiative through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP). To be considered for funding this fiscal year, applications must be submitted by August 15, 2014.   For additional information, contact the NRCS office at 224 West First Street, Morehead, KY * 606/784-5375 Extension 3.


USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).