Skip

News Release

Contact:

Jacob Kuhn, EWP Program Manager

859-224-7371


Emergency Watershed Protection Funds for Kentucky Counties Affected by April Flash Floods

Lexington, KY, May 21, 2013– Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) State Conservationist Karen Woodrich announced that Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) funds are available to address restoration efforts in nine Kentucky counties. 

Kentucky NRCS received $400,000 to address damage related to the flash flooding that occurred on April 17, 2013. The counties affected include Bell, Leslie, Knox, Knott, Harlan, Clay, Estill, Owsley and Perry. Woodrich reported that dozens of sites were assessed immediately following the flooding event, but other damage assessment was delayed due to the high water. 

She added, “NRCS has already executed several project agreements with counties in the affected area to implement recovery efforts.  To date, over $200,000 of work is either under way or was recently completed using EWP funds." 

NRCS assistance under EWP is limited to the removal of debris (broken, hanging and undercut trees) or impending debris along streams, creeks, or bridges that pose a threat to life or property.  Assistance is provided for severe erosion along stream banks that poses an immediate danger to houses, non-federal roads and other infrastructure. 

NRCS may assume 75 percent of authorized construction costs with the remaining 25 percent to come from the sponsors.  All EWP work must reduce threats to life and property and comply with economic and environmental standards.  The work must meet NRCS technical standards and specifications.  Sponsors are also responsible for furnishing the local cost share and for facilitating the installation of work.  EWP project work must be conducted under an agreement with NRCS and these emergency measure projects must be completed within 10 days from the allocation date.  

For more information on the EWP program, please contact your local NRCS office or Jacob Kuhn, NRCS EWP Program Manager, (859)-224-7371.  For more information regarding Emergency Watershed Protection, visit NRCS Web site at http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/ky/programs/financial/ewp/

 

#

 

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).