Kansas Technical Committee Minutes | March 29, 2012
Kansas Technical Committee Minutes - March 2012
Kansas Technical Committee (KTC)
Thursday, March 29, 2012
9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Eric B. Banks, State Conservationist (STC), Natural Resources Conservationist (NRCS), Salina, Kansas, called the Kansas Technical Committee (KTC) meeting to order. Eric welcomed members and discussed the purpose of the teleconference.
Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP)—National Water Quality Initiative (NWQI)
Corey L. Nelson, Resource Conservationist, NRCS, Salina, Kansas, opened the discussion regarding the recommended watersheds proposed by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE), Kansas Water Office (KWO), and Kansas Department of Agriculture (KDA)-Division of Conservation (DOC), for the fiscal year (FY) 2012 NWQI. Jamie Gaggero, KDHE, explained their assessment for the watershed selection based on the following criteria provided by NRCS National Headquarters (NHQ).
- Impaired–A stream or water body documented to be impaired, and identified on a state’s 303(d) list of impaired waters as designated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Threatened–A stream or water body with water quality data documenting an impairment but does not have a Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) implementation plan and is not listed on the 303(d) list of impaired waters as designated by the EPA.
- TMDL–A stream or water body that has been on the EPA’s 303(d) list of impaired waters, but may have been removed because there is a TMDL plan for implementation.
- Critical–A stream or water body upstream of an impaired segment or area, and is known to be a contributing source of the downstream impairment for a stream in one or more of the three categories above.
The following document requires Adobe Reader.
Map - National Water Quality Initiative Recommended Watersheds (PDF; 688)
Discussion was held on practices and payment rates. Practices are limited to those designated nationally and payment rates will match the current FY 2012 NRCS payment schedule.
Questions were asked on the funds available in each watershed and the length of the NWQI. Five percent, almost $900,000, of the EQIP general financial assistance was set aside for the NWQI. This will be split evenly between three watersheds.
FY 2012 watershed selection for the NWQI
KTC Recommendation: The committee recommended that the STC submit the Kansas watersheds proposed by KDHE, KWO, and KDA-DOC, to NRCS NHQ for approval.
STC Decision: Concurred with this recommendation.
The teleconference adjourned at 9:45 a.m.
Call-in Information was given to the following:
- Larry Biles, Kansas Forest Service (KFS)
- Bob Atchison, KFS
- Tim Christian, Kansas Grazing Lands Coalition
- Jamie Gaggero, Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE)
- Don Jones, Kansas Department of Agriculture, Division of Conservation
- Dennis Lutgen, Star Seed Inc.
- Susan Metzger, Kansas Water Office (KWO)
- Susan Stover, KWO
- Maurice Miller, Sharp Brothers Seed Company
- Steve Schaff, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Steve Sorensen, Kansas Wildlife Federation
- Dalton, Henry, Kansas Wheat Commission
- Jim Hays, The Nature Conservancy
- Lisa French, Cheney Lake Watershed
- Eric Banks, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
- Gaye Benfer, NRCS
- Corey Nelson, NRCS
- Dean Krehbiel, NRCS
- Lyle Frees, NRCS