Kansas Technical Committee Minutes | May 17, 2011
Kansas Technical Committee Minutes - May 2011
Kansas Technical Committee (KTC) Minutes
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
9:00 a.m - 11:30 a.m.
NRCS Conference Center
747 Duvall, Salina, Kansas
The meeting was opened by Eric B. Banks, State Conservationist, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), Salina, Kansas. He welcomed everyone and explained the State Resource Assessment. Jon L. Ungerer, State Resource Conservationist, NRCS, Salina, Kansas, gave a brief explanation of what would be presented regarding resource concerns and at–risk acres/acres needing treatment/priority areas and ranking of priorities. At that time, Jon introduced Travis A. Rome, Cartographer, NRCS, Salina, Kansas, as the individual who developed the maps and information and that Travis would be presenting the assessment.
Travis went through an overview of the information on the spreadsheet, how it was compiled, and the maps completed. The resource concerns were explained, and it was discussed that only resource concerns of relevant importance to the state were included in the information. Travis explained the first resource concern and asked the group if they wanted to discuss them one–by–one after he presented the data or wait until the end? The group felt it would be best to wait to the end and see all the data prior to engaging in discussion. Travis went through the list of resource concerns explaining the sources utilized to determine acres, priority areas, and treated acres. A number of questions and comments were made regarding possible additional sources of information and priority areas.
At this point, an explanation of ranking was provided to the group. Much discussion followed about priorities and needs within the state. There were many questions related to the use of the data. Eric offered his knowledge of the reason behind the State Resource Assessments and why the national office was looking to develop this type of tool. Jon and Travis offered that there was not a consistent methodology provided for the states to follow and states were varied in their approach to compiling the information.
After further discussion on priorities and ranking, it was decided to provide the information on–line to all Kansas Technical Committee (KTC) members along with an electronic version of the spreadsheet they could complete with their ranking priorities. It was requested members provide their ranking priorities and any feedback by May 25, 2011, to C. Roseann (Rosie) Collins, Secretary, Programs Staff, NRCS, Salina, Kansas, at email@example.com.
The meeting was adjourned.
The following document requires Adobe Reader.
Attachment: State Resource Assessment (PDF; 202 KB)
- Cal Adams, Smoky Hills Graziers Association
- Kent Askren, Kansas Farm Bureau (KFB)
- Steve Swaffar, KFB
- Ron Brown, Kansas Association of Conservation Districts and Resource Conservation and Development
- Luke Cory, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Greg A. Foley, State Conservation Commission (SCC)
- Don Jones, SCC Mary Fund, Kansas Rural Center
- Dalton Henry, Kansas Wheat Commission and Association of Wheat Growers
- Jeff Keating, Department of Defense Rich McKee, Kansas Livestock Association
- Jerry Medley, Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE)
- Kerry Wedel, KDHE
- Howard Miller, Cheney Lake Watershed
- Matt Smith, Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
- Tim Stroda, Kansas Pork Association
- Jan Windscheffel, Netafim USA Precision Irrigation
- Eric Banks, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
- Gaye Benfer, NRCS
- Dean Krehbiel, NRCS
- Jim Krueger, NRCS
- Jon Ungerer, NRCS
- Chad Volkman, NRCS
- Travis Rome, NRCS