Skip Navigation

News Release

EWP Assistance Requests for Missouri River Flooding

NRCS in Missouri River Basin States Including Kansas Establishes January 31, 2012 Deadline for EWP Assistance Requests for Spring and Summer 2011 Missouri River Flooding

Salina, Kansas, December 15, 2011´┐ŻEric B. Banks, State Conservationist, for the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), announced today that assistance is available through the Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program to assist Kansans impacted by the Spring and Summer 2011 Missouri River floods. NRCS is an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

“Kansas Missouri River counties including Doniphan, Atchison, Leavenworth, and Wyandotte and counties bordering those Kansas counties are eligible for Emergency Watershed Protection Program assistance or EWP. Sponsor requests must be received by the deadline of January 31, 2012,” said Banks.

NRCS administers the EWP Program, which responds to emergencies created by natural disasters. The Program is a recovery effort aimed at relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, tornadoes, and other natural occurrences. Recovery efforts include clearing debris-clogged stream channels, stabilizing streambanks, levee repair, drainage channel cleanout, or other measures that will restore an impaired watershed to its pre-disaster condition. The measures that are taken must be environmentally and economically sound and generally benefit more than one property owner.

Federal funds may cover up to 75 percent of the construction costs of eligible recovery measures. Public and private landowners are eligible for assistance, but must be represented by a project sponsor. Sponsors must be a legal subdivision of state government or agency or a qualified Native American Tribe or tribal organization. Examples include local units of government, levee or drainage districts, and/or conservation districts. Sponsors may provide their share of construction costs in the form of cash, in-kind services such as labor or equipment, or a combination of cash and in-kind services.

“I would encourage those interested in the program to contact their local NRCS office and visit with staff about determining eligibility and applying for the EWP Program,” said Banks. “Once a potential project has been identified, NRCS will work with the project sponsor and conduct a site visit.”

Apply at Local NRCS Office

To request EWP Program assistance or to get more information about the program, contact the USDA Service Center serving your county. A brochure and EWP Program information is available on the Kansas NRCS Web site: To find a service center, go to this Web site: Follow us on Twitter at @NRCS_Kansas. USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.