Skip Navigation



Language Interpreters and Translators, Signers, and Braillists

Below is a listing of some resources to contact if the need arises for interpreting and translating services. Most private individuals or organizations probably will charge for their services. Kansas NRCS has identified several employees or Earth Team (ET) volunteers, and other personnel from conservation districts, Rural Development (RD), and the Farm Service Agency (FSA) that could assist in interpreting or translating.

  1. Kansas District Courts generally have people they use as interpreters and translators. The Kansas District Courts Web site lists all the courts with phone numbers. If you call the Clerk of the District Court, he or she can probably give you a name. However you must remember these interpreters and translators probably have a regular job so you would need to make arrangements with them.
  2. Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, 1-800-432-0698
  3. Language teachers. You may want to check with your local high school, college, community college, or technical school to determine if they have someone who could interpret or translate.
  4. Catholic Charities agency.
  5. Cultivate Kansas City staff and board members are fluent in English, Hmong, Korean, Spanish, and German. Other language resources are available if needed.
  6. Braillists and Sign Language Interpreters, Kansas Commission on Disability Concerns.
  7. NRCS employees, ET volunteers, and others:


  • James Pena, NRCS Soil Conservation Technician, Ulysses Field Office (FO)
  • Toni Lyn Larson, ET volunteer, Effingham FO
  • Litza Y. Lopez-Ramos, Soil Conservationist, Garden City FO



  • German: Patty Hageman, FSA Manhattan SO
  • Russian: Lilya Peters (daughter-in-law of Brenda Peters, District Manager, McPherson County Conservation District) is Russian and can interpret and translate Russian and speaks Croatian.
  • Spanish: Elva Yanez, RD Specialist, Garden City FO, Spanish bi-lingual, can interpret and translate.



Policy and Guidance

Demographics Resources

  • Census 2010
    This website contains information on the general 2010 US census. It gives you general population demographics within your county and can even be broken down by township and/or city within your county. When you bring up this site select Kansas from the drop down menu in the left hand column. Next click on “areas within” and select counties/municipalities to search. Then select your county from the drop down menu. If you want to gather information for a specific city or township click on “areas within” and select minor civil divisions. This will allow you to get a population breakdown by township or city in your county.
  • Kansas Agricultural Statistics
    This link will take you to the ag census webpage which was last updated in 2007. Select your county from the list and a fact sheet will be displayed with all the agricultural information you would ever want to know about your county. The demographic information you are looking for is at the bottom right hand column on the second page of the fact sheet.
  • Economic Research Service Atlas of Rural and Small-Town America
  • ZIPskinny - U.S. Census data



Mary Shaffer
Outreach Coordinator