Skip Navigation

News Release

Kansas NRCS Provides Assistance to Producers in Drought Areas

Salina, Kansas—Eric Banks, State Conservationist for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) announced today that NRCS has assistance available for producers in Kansas suffering from ongoing drought conditions. Drought recovery funding assistance will be under the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP).

This assistance will be available for land where any portion of the county has been designated a D3 (Extreme) or D4 (Exceptional) drought zone according to the U.S. Drought Monitor map as of May 27, 2014. Contact your local NRCS office for specific drought area designation.

Kansas has received an additional $300,000 drought recovery allocation for existing unfunded EQIP applications. This may be a source of additional assistance to producers to mitigate the short-term or long-term effects of the drought.

“It’s important for livestock producers to have a contingency plan which addresses drought in ways such as deferred or rotational grazing, alternative water sources, combining herds, or possibly reducing livestock numbers,” said Banks. Conservation plans can include decisions made which address the impacts of drought, or better yet, alternatives to prepare land for drought when climatic conditions are favorable. NRCS has grazing specialists that provide recommendations about range and pasture management and options to consider for forage and water management.

EQIP offers financial and technical assistance to eligible participants to install or implement structural and management practices on eligible agricultural land. Conservation practices must be implemented to NRCS standards and specifications. In Kansas, socially disadvantaged, limited resource, and beginning farmers and ranchers will receive a higher payment rate for eligible conservation practices applied. For applicants wishing to install practices prior to receiving a funded contract, a waiver from the State Conservationist must be obtained at the local USDA Service Center.

Additional information about drought resources is located on the Kansas NRCS Web site or stop by your local USDA Service Center and visit the NRCS office. To find a service center near you, check your telephone book under “United States Government” or on the Internet at Follow us on Twitter @NRCS_Kansas. USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.