Skip Navigation

News Release

Financial Assistance Available for Organic Producers

Marlon Winger, State Agronomist (Technical Contact)
(208) 378-5730

For More Information:
Marlon Winger, Agronomist (Technical contact): 208.378.5730
Ron Brooks, Resource Conservationist (Program contact): 208.378.5724
Alexis Collins, Public Affairs Specialist: 208.685.6978

Organic crop rows

Boise, ID, May 21, 2012 –   The Natural Resources Conservation Service is looking for organic producers interested in protecting their land's resources.  The NRCS's Organic Initiative can help certified organic producers as well as producers transitioning to organic production invest in resource conserving practices.  Producers must sign up by June 1 to be eligible for 2012 funds.

Examples of practices include cover crops, mulching, irrigation water management and nutrient management.  “There are conservation practices that can help any organic operation big or small," said Marlon Winger, NRCS State Agronomist. 

"Most organic producers lack nitrogen in their crop rotation and cover crops can help," Winger said.  "The cover crop conservation practice can pay $30 to $89 per acre.  More importantly cover crops benefit soil health and future crops by protecting soil from wind and water erosion, increasing soil biodiversity, and adding nitrogen to the soil.

"Applications are taken at any time of the year for the Organic Initiative.  But the last ranking period for 2012 ends June 1.  NRCS evaluates the applications received by this date and sign contracts with producers with the highest ranking applications.

Currently certified organic producers and those transitioning to organic production systems are eligible to apply for the program.  To find out about the Organic Initiative and eligibility requirements, contact your local NRCS office.  Eligible producers could receive a significant percentage of the cost to install conservation practices.

To learn more about the Organic Initiative, conservation practices or your eligibility, contact the NRCS office in your area.  Find the one nearest you at and click the link "Find a Service Center" at the end of the list on the left side or call 208-378-5700.



USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).