Skip Navigation

Chipping of Orchard or Vineyard Removal (Code 384)

Chipping EquipmentThe Natural Resources Conservation Service is offering conservation assistance by encouraging California growers to use innovative agricultural emission reduction practices and technologies that provide significant environmental benefits to our natural resources. Chipping orchard or vineyard debris avoids generating emissions from oxides of nitrogen (NOx), volatile organic compounds (VOC), and particulate matter (PM10 and PM2.5), air pollutants that would otherwise be emitted from burning crop residues. Chipping also avoids smoke nuisances to downwind and sensitive receptors. Activities will be consistent with established regulations and guidelines for PM10 and PM2.5 emissions, ozone precursors (NOx and VOCs), as well as smoke and fugitive dust, and state and local permit requirements.

This practice provides a payment for chipping woody debris from orchard or vineyard removals. Funding priorities are based on a screening and ranking process that considers the benefits of planned conservation practices, as identified by local, state and national priorities within nationally designated air quality non- attainment areas in California.

Practice Standard 384 – Woody Residue Treatment Program Specifics

California growers must meet EQIP eligibility requirements to qualify.

  • Orchards or vineyards removed for agricultural purposes are eligible. Land-use conversion from agricultural to non-agricultural use is ineligible.
  • Orchards or vineyards that have removed wood for firewood or other uses are not eligible.
  • A minimum two-year contract period is required with one single payment. The participant must initiate the project within one year.
  • Attrition material is not eligible for funding.

Wood chip usages:

  • Chips may be composted.
  • Chips may be left and spread in the field to decompose.
  • Chips may be applied on unpaved road surfaces for dust control purposes.
  • Chips may be hauled to and used by a biomass-fueled power plant or co-generation facility as renewable fuel.

For More Information

For more information about the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), please contact your local USDA Service Center, listed in the government section of the phone book under U.S. Department of Agriculture. Information is also available on the Internet at