Alabama NRCS EQIP/WHIP Feral/Wild Swine


Feral Hogs in Woods

Feral/wild swine population is growing at an alarming rate in Alabama. The monetary losses can be extensive. They destroy native plants and habitats, create erosion problems, degrade water quality and compete with native wildlife for food. In addition, they can cause massive crop damage, transmit diseases to domestic livestock, and adversely affect timber production through destruction of seedlings and young trees.

Feral swine have been sighted in most of the 67 counties in Alabama and can reproduce at an alarming rate. Sows can begin breeding at 6 months of age, and produce up to 4 litters per year with each litter consisting of 4 to 12 piglets.

Financial Assistance Available

Alabama landowners will have an opportunity to receive financial assistance through the Environmental Qualities Incentives Program and the Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (WHIP) to trap and properly dispose of feral/wild swine.

While this is a continuous signup, the applications for 2012 funding must be received by the cut-off date of September 30, 2011.

Additional Information

The following documents may require Adobe Reader or Microsoft Word. (If you have problems opening any of these documents, please contact Phone 334-887-4506.)

Feral/Wild Swine Pilot Program Questions and Answers
Feral Hog Trapping Job Sheet 645G (.pdf, 920 KB)
CPC-AL-1: Control of Agricultural Land Agreement-Landowner Signature (.doc, 36 KB)


It is illegal to move live feral hogs in Alabama without a permit from the Alabama Department of Conservation. These permits are only written to move live animals to a processing facility where they will be dispatched. Contact your local Alabama Department of Conservation Law Enforcement Officer for details. Under no circumstances should feral hogs be released. This practice violates Alabama law.

Interested producers should visit their nearest USDA Service Center to determine eligibility. Individuals are not eligible for WHIP until they have completed the Farm Bill eligibility requirements.  Contact your local Natural Resources Conservation Service office or Farm Service Agency Office to begin this process.   NRCS field offices are listed in the telephone directory under U.S. Department of Agriculture or on-line at