Skip Navigation

Upper Choctawhatchee River Watershed - CSP 2008

Sign-up period extended until May 30, 2008

map of upper and lower Choctawhatchee River Watershed


The Upper Choctawhatchee River Watershed covers Dale County and parts of Barbour, Coffee, Geneva, Houston, and Henry Counties. The Lower Choctawhatchee Watershed is shared with Florida and has been selected as the Florida CSP priority watershed

The Upper Choctawhatchee River Watershed is composed of the main channel, the West and East Forks of the Choctawhatchee and 24 major tributaries. The main channel is approximately 90 miles long.

The watershed encompasses almost 988,000 acres. The majority of the basin, about 66 percent, lies in Alabama with the remaining 34 percent, occurring in Florida. About 50 miles of the mainstream are in Alabama. The system terminates into Choctawhatchee Bay and the Gulf of Mexico and encompasses freshwater and brackish, estuarine and marine habitats.

The Choctawhatchee River crosses the Alabama/Florida state line just south of the city of Geneva, Alabama, where the rivers largest tributary, the Pea River converges.

Cover Use Acres 

Cover/Use Acres
(in thousands)
Cropland/cultivated 174,095
Pasture/grassland 73,978
Forest 618,075
Urban 37,831
Other 72,628
Total 976,608

Alabama NRCS Contacts in the Upper Choctawhatchee River Watershed

Service Center Contact Information  
Donald Nelson, District Conservationist
Barbour County - Clayton Field Office
18 Nern Street
Clayton, Alabama 36016
Phone: (334) 775-3266
James Currington, District Conservationist
Geneva County - Geneva Field Office
1706 West Magnolia Avenue
Geneva, Alabama 36340
Phone: (334) 684-2235
Michael Harris, District Conservationist
Coffee County - New Brockton Field Office
3 Coffee County Office Complex
Highway 84, East
New Brockton, Alabama 36351
Phone: (334) 894-5581
Joe Wilson, District Conservationist
Houston County - Dothan Field Office

1849 Ross Clark Circle, SE, Suite 3
Dothan, Alabama 36301
Phone: (334) 793-2310
Craig Peters, District Conservationist
Dale County - Ozark Field Office
202 S. Highway 123, Suite E
Ozark, Alabama 36360-2801
Phone: (334) 774-4749
James Smith, District Conservationist
Henry County - Abbeville Field Office
Agricultural Service Center
810 B Columbia Road
Abbeville, Alabama 36310
Phone: (334) 585-2284

Workshops Were Scheduled

NRCS held CSP workshops to give landowners in the watershed more information about this Farm Bill Program. 

2008 Workshop Dates Time Location
Tuesday, April 22
9:00 a.m. Coffee County Farm Center
Highway 84 East
New Brockton, AL
Tuesday, April 22 6:30 p.m. Wiregrass Electric Cooperative
509 N. State Highway167
Hartford, AL
Thursday, April 24 9:00 a.m. Ozark USDA Service Center
(Dale County Government Building)
202 S. Highway 123
Ozark, AL

CSP Eligibility Criteria

2008 CSP Information

These documents require Adobe Acrobat.

Choctawhatchee River Watershed CSP Preliminary Checklist 2008 (.pdf, 28 KB)
Alabama CSP Self-Assessment Workbook 2008 (.pdf, 2.3 MB)
Alabama CSP Participant Records 2008 (.pdf, 91 KB)
Alabama CSP Payment Schedule 2008 (.pdf, 57 KB)
National CSP Payment Schedule 2008 (.pdf, 28 KB)
Alabama Wildlife Enhancement Activity - Pollinator Activities (.pdf, 73 KB)
2008 National Activity Sheets (use Alabama Wildlife Enhancement Activity - Pollinator above) 
2008 Certification Sheets
Delineating an Agricultural Operation in Conservation Security Program  (.pdf, 28 KB)

Detailed Maps

This document requires Adobe Acrobat

Detailed map of Watershed (235 MB)
Choctawhatchee River Watershed (in html - same as .pdf above)
Upper Choctawhatchee River Watershed with Cities, Rivers, and Roads
Upper and Lower Choctawhatchee River Watershed Basic Outline Map

More Information

Lower Choctawhatchee River Watershed in Florida

NRCS National CSP Website 

CSP Contact:

Steve Musser, ASTC-Programs