Skip Navigation

INSTRUCTIONS DUNS Number and CCR Registration for USDA NRCS Programs

INSTRUCTIONS: DUNS Number and CCR Registration for USDA NRCS Programs

Step 1: Obtaining a DUNS Number

In order to receive Federal financial assistance, you or your organization will need a Data Universal Number System (DUNS) number. A DUNS number is a unique nine-character identification number provided by the commercial company Dun & Bradstreet (D&B). You may request one through the D&B DUNS special toll-free number for Federal award applicants: 1 (866) 705-5711. Tell the operator that you are applying to a Federal financial assistance program and need to register for a DUNS number. You or your organization can also register for a DUNS number through D&B's Web site at

Have the following information prepared when requesting a DUNS Number:

� Name / Name of your organization
� Address
� Phone number
� Your Name / Name of the CEO or organization owner
� Legal structure of the organization (sole proprietor, corporation, partnership, proprietorship)
� For Businesses or Organizations: Year the organization started
� Primary line of business
� Total number of employees (full- and part-time)

Note: Obtaining a DUNS number places your organization on D&B’s marketing list that is sold to other companies. You can request not to be added to this list during your application. D&B should not charge you a fee for requesting a DUNS number. You are also not obligated to purchase any of their products.

Step 2: Register with the new federal System of Award Management (SAM) (Replaces CRR)

Once you have a DUNS number, you need to register your business with the federal government's SAM,   the primary database of vendors doing business with the federal government. Federal Acquisitions Regulations (FAR) require all prospective vendors to be registered in SAM prior to the award of a contract, basic agreement, basic ordering agreement, or blanket purchase agreement.

Using SAM you will be able to register your business size and socio-economic status while completing the required solicitation clauses and certification. By completing your required solicitation clauses and certifications you certify that the information provided about your company and its business activities are correct. The certification information that you will be asked on SAM is explained in the Federal Acquisitions Regulations, Section 52.212-3

Tips for registering with SAM

How do I Register with SAM?

Note: Your organization needs to renew their SAM registration every year.

CIG Program Contact
Karen Dearlove, Realty & Easement Specialist
(907) 283-8732 x 114

CIG Technical Contact
Helen Denniston, State Resource Conservationist
(907) 761-7756