Skip Navigation

News Release

Grassland Reserve Program Application Deadline Set for June 14, 2013


USDA / NRCS Tennessee
675 U.S. Courthouse
801 Broadway
Nashville, TN 37203

Contact: Jeanne Eastham, State Public Affairs Specialist
(615) 452-3838 Ext. 110




Nashville, Tennessee — The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) in Tennessee has been allocated $500,000 dollars for the Grassland Reserve Program (GRP). NRCS and Farm Service Agency are accepting applications for funding on a continuous basis. The purpose of GRP is to assist landowners in protecting grazing lands by conserving grassland resources on eligible private lands. Owners interested in applying for GRP should apply on or before Friday, June 14, 2013, which is the (sign-up) cutoff date for funding consideration. Applications are received year round, but cutoff dates are set in order to rank applications for funding.

At this time, current funding restrictions require us to give priority to rental agreements which can be for 10, 15, or 20 years in length. However, we are taking applications for both rentals and easements. Any easements that are funded will be for a ‘permanent’ duration. GRP eligible lands include grassland for which grazing is the predominant use, or Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acreage that is within one year of the scheduled expiration date.

For rental contracts, participants must own the eligible acreage or have control of the eligible acreage for the life of the rental contract. For easement applications, participants must be the legal owners of a proposed easement area. Both rental and easement applicants must meet Highly Erodible Land and Wetland Conservation provisions, and Adjusted Gross Income requirements set forth by the USDA.

For additional information, producers are encouraged to contact their local NRCS Agricultural Service Center. Service center locations and more information on the programs can be found at .

NRCS has provided leadership in a partnership effort to help America's private land owners and managers conserve their soil, water and other natural resources since 1935. For program information, contact John Rissler (615-277-2576) or Tate Jenkins (615-277-2557).



USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).

< Back to Previous Page